Our Montessori Curriculum
The Montessori curriculum is a rich, three-year curriculum for children aged 3-6, that focuses on Practical Life, Sensorial, Mathematical, Language, Geography, and Science skills. Children learn in a self-paced, hands-on environment that is designed to meet their developmental needs.
Kindergarten Through Grade 8 Curriculum
St. Mary School is a New York State Accredited school, offering curricula that meet New York State standards for education in a Christ-centered, Catholic environment. All subjects are taught according to the New York State Next Generation guidelines and the Diocese of Buffalo Department of Education standards. Reading, English Language Arts, Math, Social Studies, Science and Technology programs are selected and implemented to meet all these standards.
Our curricula promote academic, spiritual, emotional, physical and social growth. St. Mary School provides an environment that facilitates and encourages independent thinking, problem solving and intellectual curiosity at all levels of learning. The curriculum challenges students in a comfortable environment and gives them an expansive foundation in the major academic disciplines, religion, and the visual and performing arts.
View the New York State Next Generation ELA and Mathematics Standards:
Ours is a Catholic Christian school, where students and teachers alike are invited to share their faith in every aspect of their work together. Here are some specific activities that support our lives as a practicing, faith filled community:
- Daily student-led prayer
- Student prayer intentions
- Prayers before classes
- Daily instruction in Religion
- Sacramental support for First Reconciliation (Grade 2) and First Eucharist (Grade 3)
- Full participation in weekly Mass
- Monthly class-led Masses
- School-wide Reconciliation in Advent and Lent
- Prayer Families and Prayer Partners
- All Saints’ celebration (Grade 3)
- An annual Family Christmas Program
- Pray ‘n’ Play (The Way of the Cross)
- Lenten class retreats at all levels
- Virtues of the Month
- Service projects of the Month
- In-service Catechist formation for all teachers